13 Mar Industrial opportunities of Circular Economy in Catalonia
“Analysis of the supply of circular economy solutions in Catalonia and its implementation penetration within specific industries”
Starting point: The concept of circular economy has an increasing amount of supporters in both the public and the private sector. The number of companies applying this concept is raising, not only as a way to create a positive impact on the environment, but also to introduce their products or services to a new consumer target that is more environmentally friendly and to reduce costs on internal processes.
The purpose of the project was double: (1) to quantify and characterize the circular economy sector in Catalonia, including companies from the waste, the water and the renewable energy industries and also smaller companies related to eco-design; and (2) to analyses the degree of application of the circular economy on three industries: food and beverage, fashion and furnishing.
ACHIEVEMENTS OF THE PROJECT
- Definition of the scope of circular economy in Catalonia.
- Identification of more than 400 companies that develop B2B solutions within the scope of circular economy with more than 4.000M€ in related revenues.
- Identification of several opportunities of internationalization and innovation.
- Identification and analysis of successful cases in each analyzed industry.
- Identification of actions to implement circular economy on a company depending on the industry (food and beverage, fashion, furnishing) and its position on the value chain.
- This project set the bases for new initiatives to promote circular economy on the private sector.