29 Jan Implementation of a tourist product internationalization strategy in high and medium zone of la Guajira, Colombia
“Unique and specialized product development for an internationalization process”
Starting point: La Guajira department is located in the north of the country; it has a peculiarity, 80% of its population is indigenous and part of one of the most representative ethnic groups, “The Wayuú”; is an ethnic group completely independent in its way of working, organization, it has its own laws, and the national government respects this conditions. In addition, it is a territory with unique natural scenarios.
In this way, Cluster Development, carried out the entire process of construction of the Tourism Cluster Initiative of the department, the respective identification and characterization of actors (companies and support entities), the identification of challenges and opportunities, the definition of strategic options, where the option of “unique and specialized destination” was placed, in which the attractions of its indigenous ethnic group and its territory would be the basis for the promotion of the strategy and finally the action plan was established with 5 lines of work.
Within one of the 5 lines of work, “Building alliances and approaching to specialized partners for the commercialization of the destination”, the development of differential tourism products was established under the “unique and specialized destination” strategy and the development of an international commercialization pilot.
The main objective of the project is the identification of potential markets, the development of differential packages according to international clients purchasing criteria (the prioritized market was Spain), construction of territorial narrative, international marketing pilot and governance development of the initiative.
ACHIEVEMENTS OF THE PROJECT
- Identification of a central product (ethnic/cultural) and 3 subproducts (nature/adventure, well-being/spirituality and indigenous immersion/voluntarism)
- Portfolio development with specialized products by sub-product category and according to the purchase criteria of Spanish market
- 10 new products developed by companies to be included in the portfolio
- Construction of the territorial narrative
- Creation of the new Brand “INMERSIÓN GUAJIRA”; it Works under the scheme of a product club to promote jointly the 10 participating companies
- “Inmersión Guajira” web Development
- International commercialization pilot in Barcelona with successful contacts and following sales
- Participation of “Imersión Guajira” at the international tourism fair “Fitur” in Madrid
- Definition of a governance model for destination management under the scheme of a public-private consortium
- National and international positioning of La Guajira as a unique and specialized destination