23 Jan Product development platform and access to new markets for the Snacks Cluster companies, Valle del Cauca, Colombia
“Successful methodology for the international business development”
Starting point: The Valle del Cauca Snacks Cluster (savory, confectionery, snack nuts, and chips), export leader of this products in Colombia (63% of the total exports in 2017), defined its action plan in June of 2015, with Cluster Development support, in order to overcome strategic challenges to access new markets, develop tools to innovate and, strengthen the supply chain.
Within the access new markets strategic line, the Snacks Initiative Cluster with Cluster Development participated in the call for project Reto Cluster financed by iNNpulsa. In that call five companies, that sought to participate in demanding international markets, took part.
The project main objective is to structure an organized methodological process to:
- Prioritize an international market
- Identified its leading purchase criteria and
- develop a new product and its marketing strategy based on the purchase criteria that have been found.
In the process, along with the companies, the West Coast of the United States was defined as the target market and, based on the consumption trends and regulations of the region, each company developed a new sophisticated product.
ACHIEVEMENTS OF THE PROJECT
- Designing of a methology for the international business development.
- Priorization of the United States West Coast as the companies target market.
- 4 snacks and 1 ingredient developed based on the product benchmarking and characterization of the consumer trends and regulations of the United States West Coast.
- Construction of the stortytelling and designing of the business model for the 4 developed snacks.
- Travel to California to validate the products concept with sophisticated clients.
- Conformation of a sustainable management model for the Snacks Cluster to implement strategic actions and, monitor the governance performance.
- “We have developed along with the other companies the vital knowledge to boost business opportunities locally and internationally” – Pablo Emilio Londoño, Market Manager of Colombina
- “How to participate in a sophisticated market and prepare the Company to face it” – Juliana Andrea Diaz, Innovation Manager of Harinera del Valle
- “Build trust among Cluster companies and advance in a project pipeline” – Guido Vara, CEO of Productos La Tribu Calima
- “It allowed us to strengthen methodologies for innovation” – Eric Cuenca, CEO of La Tour
- “It allowed us to have confidence to launch a new product in the United States” – Hebert Salazar, Market Manager of Incauca